List Of Free Translator Sites
||Wait for links to adverts.
||Does Not Take URLs unlike eg google
Better than Google (said Andy of TT Curry, 2018-06)
||Free, Real languages + An invented language. +
- 2017-09-21: Theyve half broken it, so Now omit
leading http:// or https:// , then it will ust accept
base domain, then manually mouse copy the rest of the
URL , or clcik down within the target site.
Pre 2017-09-21:Used to accept URLs inc http://
https:// No mouse copy box. < 1,000 char.
A full page translation service with URL.
- PDF-1.4 built from scanned .tiff : Shows nothing
except Page 1, Page 2, ...
(Fair enough just means you need to run OCR
elsewhere first (For OCR on FreeBSD I use
tesseract on freebsd.org
- PDF-1.4 (eg http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/cv/stacey_g.pdf
built from groff tool chain : Translates OK
- TIFF image data, little-endian, from scanner:
||Mouse copy box < 1,000 char. Powered by Google
Microsoft & Babylon
||Redirects from: microsofttranslator.com
A full page translation service with URL. @ 2017-09-21
Only targets http:// not https:// so eithe r mouse copy
text, or copy target text temporarily to some plain
||Free + adverts.
||Free + adverts.
me URLs (web refs)
How To Use Free Translator Server Sites
Reading Web Pages & Emails
- Mouse copy or type the URL (Uniform Resource
Locator = web address) of web page you want to
read, to a translator site; Normally if you then click a
link, it stays within the translator, translating the new
page to your preferred language, handy of you are reading
a mail archive.
- OR Mouse copy blocks of text from an email, posting,
forum or web page, to a text box on a translator site;
handy if you type a posting in a foreign language, &
want to translate it to English before posting to an
International English Mail Lists
Rejecting Foreign Language Postings
- Just post a reply, pointing to this (or a
similar) page: http://www.berklix.com/jhs/trans
If the foreign poster then remains too clueless or
lazy to use it, that's their loss, but at least we've
thrown a lifeline, if they will work to help
- Don't post a reply just in foreign - it would
exclude many readers. Most mail lists are archived on
web, so write in English, & leave foreign poster
to read replies via a translator web server.
Why Translate To English _Before_ Posting
- Nearly all International Technical Mail Lists
operate in English, particularly for free software,
development & user mutual self support.
- For many people on such lists, English is their
second language not their first.
- They all use English as a common medium for
mutual self help.
- It is an abuse to burden them with your third
foreign language !
- The help they offer is voluntary & free.
- Imagine the noise & disaster if all wrote in
our own local languages ! It would kill the
international lists & software projects.
- Wildly inefficient for many on a list to struggle
to post-translate from your local language to
- Much more efficient if just You pre-translate
from your language to English.
- You want to benefit from advice from a global
mail list operating in English, so do Your own work
- You use a free translator server !
- Don't expect help otherwise!
- Most or perhaps all of us Will ignore you if
you use foreign non English on International
- If you are lucky, you might get someone telling
you how to use a free translator & repost in
International list members know:
- If we help you in one non English language,
it will either encourage you to write more in
your non English, either as personal mail or to
- It could encourage others in their other non
English language to also dump foreign noise on
- If you can't write in (some sort of) English,
you probably can't read manuals FAQs &
replies in English with requests for more
detailed info to solve your problem. You may not
understand advice, & you'r probably beginner
level, with basic problems: local help in local
language is more appropriate.
- Its not efficient for world class developers
on international global lists to waste their time
supporting foreign speaking beginners.
- Leave people on International lists time free to
deal with more technicly advanced development &
support benefitting the global community of users,
not individual foreign beginners, who should be
helped more efficiently by other locals.
- If you can not write English, AND you refuse to
use a free translator, Do Not write to International
mail lists. Instead find local national mail lists
&/or city etc computer clubs & user groups
operating in your local language.
Creating Web Pages
- If you are making your personal web pages multi lingual
for other to read, you'r obviously free & welcome to look
at this page & learn the methods.
- If you don't have time to do your company's whole web
site you'll need mass automated translation, either bulk in
advance or on browser demand. Ask a consultant, perhaps me, or another on
geographic index of FreeBSD consultants.
- Humans still do better translation than machines, as of
writing 2018-11, but that wil change with time & language
& subject & application
- The author has
a range of friends who are commercial translators working in
Munich Germany in various languages, he passes on leads /
contacts free of charge.
- Technical Translation, including embedding translated
texts into computer programs, can be far more complex than
normal translation, the author has experience of
that since 1985, his company page is
This page is linked from the iconised British +
German merged flag
side panel of many Berklix pages of
Berklix.Com, Berklix.Net, Berklix.Org, Berklix.EU, bsdpie.com